Pages

Search This Blog

15 September 2010

...The Gay Afrocentric...???



Afrocentrism is the study of the African Diaspora and committing to being aware politically in order to foster equal rights for minorities everywhere. I subscribe to Afrocentrism because I think its important to recognize that our "melting pot" just isn't hot enough. To recognize that the ability to make hit songs, where skinny jeans, and where the latest trends--or even to be able to earn a doctorate and be hired in prestigious law firms and hospitals doesn't put an end to racism and prejudice.

However, what Afrocentrism also speaks to is the black family. Marrying a black woman, having black children, and teaching them the principles needed to survive in a world where blacks are not appreciated or valued. So, where do I fit in the equation?

When I came to accept (or somewhat accept) my sexuality the major thing that I became concerned about is my commitment to this ideal. How can I truly call myself a 'good black man' when I am not living my 'personal' life by the guide of those ancestors who came before me who I admire greatly.

I am a Malcolm X, Marcus Garvey, Angela Davis, Huey Newton, Stokely Carmichael (and I could go on) type of dude. I think how they committed their life to the revolution of black people is remarkable and I feel a duty to continue their mission. So, the duality of dealing with being 'gay' would serve to be a problem.

How do I come to terms with my sexuality and also be comfortable in circles of others who have committed their lives to the upward mobility of Africans everywhere if I will never have the "traditional" family that is expected of me? It's hard to think about being rejected by the community I fight so hard with and for. Do I, when I'm comfortable for anyone to know my sexuality, keep fighting and disregard rejection knowing that I also have an allegiance to my own beliefs and my own sexuality or do I repress my sexuality and do what is expected?

I was never a follower so it's even amazing to me that I have these feelings, but it is such a serious issue for me. I'm not sure exactly how my life will play out, but what I do know is trying to make the game plan is definitely difficult. If I play the defense, it means I am insecure with myself, if I play offense, it means i have to be ready to attack anyone who doesn't believe what I believe and I believe every one should have their own opinion.

Can the two mix?

No comments:

Post a Comment